What are the Benefits of Coaching?
Successful people pursue their vision and find meaning in life. The purpose of coaching equips you with the skills and tools to manage and be more effective in all areas of life, whilst helping you remain focused on your long-term vision.
Research has shown that coaching is beneficial in helping improve health outcomes and inspiring people to find more meaning and purpose.
According to an article written by Kaplin and Anzaldi, "New Movement in Neuroscience: A Purpose-Driven Life" states that having a more meaningful and purpose-driven life has positive benefits in sustaining you through periods of stress and suffering.
What is Coaching?
Coaching is a process of working with an expert to break through mental, emotional, physical and spiritual limitations, and obtain new insights, strategies and solutions to help increase your personal and business success.
Coaching is developed from a wide-range of disciplines and built on the foundations of scientific knowledge and philosophy to unlock your full potential and maximise performance.
The aim of coaching is to improve your decision-making process through recognising your distortions in thinking, and discovering new solutions and alternative ways to approach your challenges.
What is the Main Purpose of Coaching? - Types of Coaching
There are a specific types of coaching, depending on your current needs, challenges and stage of life:
Health coaching uses evidence-based skills and strategies to actively and safely engage you in positive behavioural changes to improve your health and well-being through specifically focusing on preventing or managing health-related diseases and conditions.
Life coaching is suitable for everyone as it focuses on a broader range of life issues and helping you achieve your personal and professional goals with more whole-life balance.
Business and executive coaching is specific to professionals wanting to identify, develop and achieve their personal, professional and leadership goals and ultimately maximise their leadership performance. This has enormous value and impact on the function of the entire business or organisation.
Benefits of Business Coaching
- Organisational or business change: this may include adapting to a changing market environment or during downsizing, restructuring, mergers and other organisational changes.
- Career or business performance: when a higher level of performance is required of you, such as transitioning to a more senior position of leadership, authority and responsibility within the company.
- Leadership: aligning you the leader to the company’s culture and mission, and resolving specific challenges to improve the leader’s personal skills and decision-making process for continued business growth.
Selecting a Coach
In Australia coaching is unregulated, which means anyone can start a business and call himself or herself a coach. When searching for a coach you need to ensure the individual is experienced and has earned the accredited professional qualifications.
If you believe it is your decisions and not the conditions that determine your life, coaching could be what you need to take you to the next level.
Let's workout what you really want in your life?
- Ammentorp J, Uhrenfeldt L, Angel F, Ehrensvärd M, Carlsen EB, Kofoed P-E. Can life coaching improve health outcomes? – A systematic review of intervention studies. BMC Health Services Research. 2013;13:428.
- Kaplin A, Anzaldi L. New Movement in Neuroscience: A Purpose-Driven Life. Cerebrum: the Dana Forum on Brain Science. 2015;2015:7.
- Passarelli AM. Vision-based coaching: optimizing resources for leader development. Frontiers in Psychology. 2015;6:412.
- Peltier, B. (2010). The Psychology of Executive Coaching - Theory and Application. 2ed. New York: Routledge.